I believe writers need to “play” with words – to have fun with them. I use writing exercises to:
- access my intuitive side.
- explore new writing styles and techniques.
- discover new directions for a work-in-progress.
There are so many ways to play with words. You can:
- write from an object (for example, a cannonball in a museum or a colourful box of pastels).
- begin with a sentence (for example, “The noise grew louder when he opened the door”).
- write from an illustration or photo (for example, Steve McCurry’s portraits).
For more ideas about how to play with words, go to my WordPlay page.