Why Write about Yo-Yos?

September 8, 2011

On September 1st, I published my latest novel for teens, The Yo-Yo Prophet. Why did I write about yo-yoing?

Pull out a yo-yo, toss a few tricks and most people want to give it a try. There’s something compelling about manipulating a yo-yo up and down a string, never mind mastering more complicated tricks. Is it the satisfaction of achieving desired results? All I know is that when I successfully throw an around-the-world or trapeze trick, I’m thrilled – and eager to try more advanced tricks.

Modern yo-yo design and construction has changed what we can do with a yo-yo – like the new ball-bearing system that allows for unprecedented spin times. Yo-yos can sleep for minutes, rather than seconds, allowing for infinitely more complicated tricks, like Buddha’s revenge. The yo-yo has catapulted from cheap toy to high-tech wonder.

So it’s no surprise that an underground yo-yoing movement exists.  Websites such as yoyoexpert.com or yoyonation.com offer advice on which yo-yos to use for which type of tricks as well as video instruction on specific tricks. And if you thought yo-yo contests were a thing of the past, check out the World Yo-Yo Contest in Florida and the National Yo-Yo Contest in California, which includes qualifying regional contests.

Personally, I think the appeal of yo-yoing lies in the ability to coax that carefully crafted construction of plastic, aluminum and string into doing what I want it to do.

To check out my video book trailer for The Yo-Yo Prophet, click here. To enter a draw for a signed copy of the book, simply comment on this post, or send me an email through my website before September 20th.

Comments

Comments

1. Susan Hughes says:

Karen,

I was hopeless with a yo-yo when I was a kid, but I didn’t realize there were new and improved yo-yos! Maybe I’ll get me one and try again.

Thanks for the interesting blog. Best,

Susan

2. Karen says:

Beginner yo-yos are much easier to use now, Susan. Maybe you need to give it another try?

3. Lena Coakley says:

Ah! I want to win a copy of this book–especially after seeing the trailer. (But if I don’t win I will most definitely buy it.)

4. Like Susan, I didn’t realize that there were new and improved Yo-yos. Hmmm–now I’m going to have to try one–hope it’s easier than juggling. No matter what I’m off to find a copy of the Yo-Yo Prophet! I know I can read. Very exciting that there is a new Karen Krossing book available!

5. Karen Spafford-Fitz says:

You nearly have me talked into picking up a yoyo again, Karen… I was an utter klutz with them as a kid and remember nosebleeding excessively after a failed ‘trick’ attempt. (Have blocked out what the attempted trick actually was :)

That said, I’m prepared to face my demons – at least in the form of reading, and undoubtedly enjoying, your new release. Congratulations and best wishes to you and the Prophet!

6. Karen says:

Thanks, Karen. And good luck with yo-yoing!

7. Pauline says:

Oh how I remember the satisfaction of getting that yo yo going and the spin and control you could feel in the palm of your hands. As for tricks… I left that to my brother! Great idea for a novel!

8. Karen says:

Yo-yoing is satisfying, Pauline. I agree.

9. [...] is running a contest through her blog to win a signed copy of the book. All you need to do is visit her online and leave a comment on her “Why Write about Yo-Yos?” blog post by September 20, [...]

10. Sarah W. says:

This sounds like a book my students would love. I’m a high school librarian, and this fits in exactly with what I would want them to be looking at.

11. Karen says:

Thanks, Sarah. I hope your library wins the contest.

12. I love yo-yos, I agree, they are mesmerizing. Thanks for the chance to win a book.

13. Cristy says:

Very cool – and I hope Sarah’s library wins, too!!! : )
    I am going to have to get a new yo-yo as I haven’t used one in many years. It sounds like the new ones are high-tech and can do great tricks!

14. Karen says:

Good luck, Coreena and Cristy!